This H2O passport was created by Eco-Musketeers:
Dunja Dragojević, Marija Bijelić, Milica Rajković, Zoja Grbović, Tijana Mileusnić, Dimitrije Radomirović, Vukica Kostić, Dragan Milanović, Sara Stanarčević, Kristina, Filip Brener, Aleksandar Ilic, Mateja Jevtić, Ivan Krstić, Vuk Kostić, Anastasija Pančić, Anja Dimić, Kosta Petković, Nevena Mitrović, Bogdan Šimšić, Damir Hrnjica, Lea Popović, Aleksandar Ristić, Lea Nikolić, Aleksandra Gazikalović, Viktor Palikuća, Aleksandra Čović, Konstantin Stanić, Aleksa Luković and Lorena Celić.
With the current growth rate of the human population, the amount of water on Earth remains the same. Nearly 1/3 of the world is classified as a water-stressed. Every year, the consumption increases by 6 percent, which is a very large amount. One day on average household spends about 180 liters of water. Every year in the world dies around 25,000 people due to thirst or due to contaminated water they drink. On the Planet is more and more people, and the amount of water decreases. Our planet earth is one. If we destroy, we will not have another chance.We all need to work towards responsible (sustainable) use of water. If we don”t save the water, one day we will stay without it. Every day we can save the water with little things that we nearly forget.
So please, read the water passport for everyday water wise ways.
I Can DO IT…
· When I’m washing my hands,teeth or taking a shower, when I don’t use water, I can turn off the faucet! I clean hands, face and teeth three or more times a day so I can save a lot of water!
· I don’t waste water while I brush my teeth!
· When I brush my teeth I do it with water that previously pour into a glass, so I can save an enormous amount of water that would otherwise have flowed from the open faucet!
· I can save some water by using the weaker jet of tap while I wash my hands!
· When I’m taking a bath, I can fill it half as full as I usually do, so I can save 45 to 70 liters of water!
· If I take a shower instead of a bath in the tub, I can save substantial amounts of water. The shower is a pleasant and full bath, but only a shower to save water!
· I can shorten shower time to less than 5 minutes! Did you know that one minute of showering spend 20 liters of water. Most of people love long showering so if they want to save the water they must short the showers!
· I fit taps and shower face with flow restriction because this cuts water use by half!
· I had to turn off the water boiler when I’m taking a shower!
· When I lather my body, I can turn off the water!
· I can save water, time and money by using a broom to clean the balconies, driveway or sidewalk instead of washing with water. At each cleaning I can save at least 300 liters of water!
· I can bath my pet outdoors in an area that needs water, for example, in the garden!
· When running a bath, I can plug the bathtub before turning on the water!
· I can avoid filling the bath to a depth greater than 20 cm!
· While I’m waiting for hot water, I can collect the cold running water and use it to water my plants.!
· I can turn off the faucet tap while I’m using shampoo and soap for my body and my hair!
· I can’t put garbage into the water!
· I can save the water with not throw away the plastic and any trash in the running and still water!
· I can use recycled paper. This will save a lot of water!
· I will not pour too much water to drink if I can’t drink it all!
· If I like to drink cold water, I can keep the bottle in the refrigerator instead of let the water run until it’s get cold water!
· I always take water in small cups to save it and I never leave the tap on!
· I can designate one glass for my drinking water each day, or refill a water bottle. This will cut down on the number of glasses to wash!
· I can keep a pitcher of water in the refrigerator instead of running the tap for cold drinks. So every drop can count!
· When I see that somethings leaks I can tell someone to fix it!
· When I pure water into a glass and it continues to leak after I close it, I can hold my glass for a second, until it stops!
· I can keep the water pressure as low as possible!
· I can place a bucket in my shower to collect the used water which I can reuse on lawns!
· When I’m washing the fish tank (aquarium), I don’t dispose that water. I can use it to water the plants!
· When I replace a pet’s water, I don’t throw the old water out. I can use it to water trees, shrubs or indoor plants!
· If I accidentally drop ice cubes, I don’t throw them. I can put them in a bowl with house plants!
Me and My family Can DO IT…
· In our family we take good care about water consumption!
· We can save water by using previously-filtered water from gutter. This water can be use for: laundry, washing up, hand washing, face wash, for shower and for drinking!
· We can use dishwasher and washing machine only when they are completely filled in order to save water. This action decrease total annual water consumption in the world each year for 6 percent!
· Often we wash our clothes in cold water!
· If our washing isn’t very dirty then we don’t use the per-rinse cycle!
· My mother an my grandmother are waiting for a washing machine to be full in order to start washing!
· We are washing dark clothes in cold water. It saves both on water and energy while it helps our clothes to keep their colors!
· We purchase water efficient appliances!
· We wash our produce in the sink or a pan that is partially filled with water instead of running water from the tap!
· We wash our clothes using economy mode!
· We wash clothes only when we have a full pile of dirty clothes!
· We use dishwasher machine to clean dirty dishes, because it saves water! The machine uses less water than we would use when we wash the dishes by hand. It saves time too!
· When I and my father wash our car in our yard, we wash it on the grass, so we can irrigate lawn!
· In the toilets we can installed water-kettle with two containers, one larger and one smaller, that are used as needed, for more or less water!
· We can buy new economic dish washer and washing machine with the different cycle options so it can save a lot of amount of water!
· We always repair dripping taps!
· We can change faucets that we push and than water comes out with ones that,with a twist of a handle, turn on and off!
· Dripping faucets can waste hundreds of liters of water. If water drips rate one drop per second, it represents a cost of approximately 1-2 € per month, and also consumes a very large amount of water. But on the world account…
· We usually check if our toilet has a silent leak by putting a little food coloring in our toilet cistern. If the coloring begins to appear in the bowl without flushing, there may be a leak!
· We reuse bath water for heavy cleaning jobs like floors and carpets!
· Instead of building a private pool in our yard, me and my family join a community pool!
· If we place a cover over our pool or fountain when not in use, we will reduce the amount of water lost to evaporation!
· We flush toilet only when necessary!
· We reduce the volume of the tank, by placing some hard object as 0,5 liter bottle filled with water in the tank. In that way we can reduce volume of tank bay 20-25%, and still we will have enough water to flash toilet. There was a test that proved that if we put any bigger object (brick for example) in cistern it doesn’t fill to end and we save extra water that we don’t need!
· The water that we use for dishes, can be uses as water to flash toilet!
· We can save water if we close the tap while we are washing dishes!
· We can save water if we collect the rain and use it for washing driveways and for backyards watering!
· We can test our shower. If it can fill a container of 5 liters in less than 30 seconds, certainly contributes to wastage of water!
· We specify only one glass a day for each member of our family to drink water. This way we can reduce the number of using the dishwasher!
· We can install energy-saving cisterns in our bathrooms, instead of old who can flush the toilet with 15 liters instead of 9-10 liters!
· We clean our house without using chemical detergents. Certain products such as chemical detergents or washing liquids (or powders) are not absorbed by waste water treatment plants. So they are carried to lakes and rivers and pollute them. Aquatic ecosystems are endangered and the proliferation of green algae is increased!
· My father turn off the water while he shaves. He can save about 200 liters of water per week!
· My father plug the sink instead of running the water to rinse the razor and save up to 500 liters of water in a month!
· When I see that somethings leaks I tell to my father to fix it!.
· To prepare food we use a “pressure cooker”. It save water, time and money!
· We wash fruits and vegetables in a pan of water instead of running water from the tap!
· In our house and in our garden we give water to the flowers only when is necessary!
· In the garden, we use sprinklers that throw big drops of water close to the ground. Smaller drops of water and mist often evaporate before they hit the ground!
· We lower the pressure in water pipes and water come out in smaller amounts and we’d save it!
· We can thaw frozen food in a refrigerator or a bowl of water, instead of under running water!
· Me and my family only put as much water into your kettle as you need!
· When boiling water on the stove my mother cover the pot with a lid!
My Neighborhood Can DO IT…
· If you can, collect rainwater and use it for watering plants!
· In the garden, plant plants that do not require much water to grow!
· Water the plants only when necessary. Most plants die from over-watering than from under-watering!
· If you water your plants in the middle of the day, including your lawn, don`t do it. Less water evaporates during the morning and evening!
· Use drop by drop irrigation system to water down plants!
· Don’t wash the driveway or sidewalk with a hose. Use a broom or rake to remove dry matter and let the rain do the rest!
· Do not water on windy days; after all, sidewalks and driveways don’t need water!
· Install water low flow restrictions in the taps!
· Make sure your swimming pools, fountains and ponds are equipped with recirculating pumps!
· Don’t overfill the pool. Lower water levels will reduce water loss due to splashing!
· You can bath small children together in the bathtub and in that way you can save water!
· Households that are on the banks should have a system for waste water and not waste discharged into water near houses!
· Don’t throw garbage in rivers and lakes!
· If you pollute nature you will also pollute water!
Me and My friends Can DO IT…
· At first me and my friends can protect river’s, lake’s and other water resources from pollution. If the water get polluted that water cannot be used any more!
· We must take care and participate in actions as cleaning banks of the river Sava, because we get water for drinking, bathing…
· Our contribution to solving water problems may be that it will not allow unnecessary runoff water in our home or at school and to warn adults to fix the plumbing!
· In school toilet me and my friends don’t turn the tap on full. We use cold water to wash our hands instead of hot water. And turn it off after use!
· We don’t flush every time. We remember; “If it’s yellow let it mellow, if it’s brown flush it down.”
· We don’t use our school toilet as a trash can. Each time we flush the toilet we use up to 9 liters of clean water!
· Every time we see broken water pipes its our duty to call principal!
· We don’t destroy plants. Its can “recycle” dirty water!
· We can teach other children and teens to turn off faucets tightly after each use!
The Authorities Can DO IT…
· The chemical industry should not be evicted chemicals and other poisons into rivers and lakes!
· Factories that pollute water should install filters so they don`t pollute water any more!
· In public spaces, the authorities can install fountains with sensors, to limit the flow time of water!
· The authorities can put time limiters on the public showers on the river and lake beaches!
· The authorities should add more fish and less to destroy the fish, because fish is a natural cleaner water!
· It would be nice to remove all rusty, old, abandoned boats and ships from our river Sava!